Calderone offers platform based on past city experience

By Matt Calderone

Last month, I announced my candidacy for Student Government Association president. Throughout my college career, I have had a variety of unique experiences in SGA and as an intern for the city clerk and mayor of Tuscaloosa. The skills that I ascertained from these experiences are certainly applicable to the SGA presidency.

Immediately after the tornado, I was asked to coordinate volunteer efforts for the city at St. Matthias Church, as well as send resources to the six aid points of distribution throughout Tuscaloosa. Being a UA student, I was also able to act as one of the primary liaisons between the University and city officials. As we worked over the summer, I saw how Tuscaloosa came together as a community to rebuild and move forward.

Inspired by these relief efforts, I started the Sunday Service Initiative. I wanted to create a program that gave back to the community but also united students in a way that mirrored what took place in Tuscaloosa in the wake of the tornado. It is one of the SGA’s most successful programs and has involved over 1,000 people from dozens of student organizations. Through the initiative I have seen how students from diverse backgrounds can work together for a common purpose. The unity that is displayed weekly through the Sunday Service Initiative should be exhibited daily on our campus.

For years, the Machine has threatened the possibility of greater unity on campus and in the greek community. I am aware of its involvement in campus elections, but let me state clearly that I have never been invited to a Machine meeting, have never sought out its support and have never accepted any monetary donations from it. Although I undertook this campaign of my own accord, I am fully cognizant of the fact that organizations around campus may choose to grant me their support. However, I will not accept formal endorsements or support from any organization not recognized by the University administration.

I recognize that the Machine has endorsed my candidacy for my current campaign for president. I want to explicitly state that this was a decision in which I was not involved. As a proud member of the greek community, it is my hope that I can engage as many fraternity and sorority members as possible in my campaign, but I do not rely on them as the base of my constituency.

My goal in looking forward as your hopeful SGA president is to make SGA relevant to every student, giving each a stronger voice. This comes with transparency that I will provide by facilitating outlets for students to share their visions for what our campus can become. My vision for this campus is truly one of inclusivity, meaning that the only affiliation of concern to me is that of being a student at the University of Alabama.

Matt Calderone is a candidate for SGA president and currently serves as SGA’s deputy executive vice president. You can learn more about his campaign and platform at http://mattcalderoneforua.com.