Book club promotes interaction

In an attempt to promote a discussion of race and medical ethics, the Honors Book Club will host a series of events centered on the book, “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot.

The book tells the story of how stem cells were unknowingly harvested from Lacks, a black woman from Baltimore, and later used in countless areas of medial research. The Book Club’s series of events are meant to engage students in thoughtful discussion and allow them to interact with professors who specialize in some of the book’s themes.

The first event, a screening of the documentary “The Way of All Flesh,” will take place at 7 p.m. in Gorgas Library, 205 on Sept. 10. The movie screening will serve as an introduction to the life of Henrietta Lacks with an introduction by Professor Lisa Lindquist-Dorr, an associate professor of the UA department of history.

Other events in the series will take place throughout the semester, including open discussions with professors.

Those looking to get involved in the Honors Book Club are invited to attend, even if they haven’t read the book.

“We don’t have a straightforward book club where students get together and discuss the book – instead, we will have a range of fascinating speakers, documentary screenings and discussion forums that will inspire further discussion for students,” Amy Holmes-Tagchungdarpa, assistant professor in the department of history, said.

The events are open to the public and all are welcome. For more information, visit ua.edu/bookclub.