Off-campus Housing Fair gives students more options

The University of Alabama will host the final off-campus housing fair for the fall semester in the Ferguson Center on Nov. 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Housing and Residential Communities sent out an email Nov. 26, promoting the fair and explaining deadlines associated with applications for on-campus housing, priority status and the idea that housing applicants will most likely exceed available space.

According to the email, on-campus housing is not a guarantee.

“This is a great opportunity to learn about the many housing options in the Tuscaloosa community,” HRC said in an emailed statement to the student body.

More than 25 off-campus property representatives will be on campus to inform students about upcoming deals, rates and amenities.

According to a survey conducted by the University, off-campus living prices average about $615 to $790 a person per person.

“It’s nice being able to have an escape from the college life, and [off-campus living is] a lot cheaper,” Frances Richardson, sophomore majoring in telecommunication and film, said.

U.S. News and World Report found in 2011 that at The University of Alabama, 27.8 percent of students live in college-owned, -operated or -affiliated housing, and 72.2 percent of students live off-campus. The HRC website also offers several resources, such as tenant rights handbooks, moving guides and lease information to help students with off-campus living.