Public relations nominated for award

The University of Alabama department of public relations is one of five finalists for PR Week Magazine’s Public Relations Education Program of the Year for the fifth year in a row.

Professors attribute the consistent high ratings of the department to the in-depth and innovative use of technology within the department.

“I had a visiting professor from a big university come down and speak, and they were really impressed with how we used our technology and the use we got out of our campaign books,” Michael Little, an advertising and public relations instructor, said. “They said their university doesn’t do anything like us and that how we approached the curriculum was special.”

Students also agree the required in-depth use of technology within the department is what sets them apart from public relations students in other schools.

Jahimar Jones, a senior majoring in public relations, interned this summer in Atlanta, Ga., with several students from different schools. He said he was able to grasp ideas much faster than the others interns and was able to go straight into using programs like InDesign and Photoshop.

“University of Alabama PR students are very creative and innovative in PR agencies because we have been trained to do so,” Jones said.

Also, the University’s PR department is praised for its high-quality professors.

“Our faculty are disciplined, dedicated and focused on helping students become successful in the classroom and outside,” said Bruce Berger, professor of advertising and public relations. “Most have extensive professional experience as well as great academic credentials. We are very devoted to active learning, service learning.”

Scott Whitehouse, a junior majoring in public relations, complimented his professors as well.

“I feel like they’ve selected their teacher’s wisely and careful,” Whitehouse said. “They take more time to take care of the students and if something goes wrong they are more understanding of situations and their knowledge of the textbook.”

Berger said the success does not stop with the professors, but it is highly due to the quality of students in the department as well.

“Public relations and advertising students have won many individual and team awards at the local, state and national level in recent years,” he said. “Former students also have performed at high levels as employees and leaders in companies, agencies and nonprofits across the country. They are great ambassadors for our University.”