Athletes win summer titles

Cliff Etzel

Discus thrower Hayden Reed was named national champion over the summer. Photo Courtesy of UA Athletics

Elliot Propes

Alabama competed in the NCAA Outdoor Championships from June 11 to 14. After the 36-event affair in Eugene, Oregon, discus thrower Hayden Reed and sprinter Remona Burchell were named ?national champions.

“A lot of times it was just her and I out there. So I think that has a lot to do with why we are where we are,” Reed said.

Burchell and the women’s team had its first top-20 finish since 2010, when the Crimson Tide finished 18th. Burchell won a national title in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.25 seconds. Her medal was added to a collection that includes a 60-meter national indoor title that she won earlier in the year.

“I will say this: I’ve been out there several times on the weekend doing a little extra training, and several times I’ve seen her out there by herself doing her thing,” Reed said. “So I think really that is what it takes to get at that level. You have to do what your coaches say, but also do more ?than that.”

Reed, a sophomore, had a very successful summer as well. His 62.74 meter throw of the discus claimed a national title, while the men’s team as a whole finished 15th nationally. He is looking to reproduce some of the same success in his sophomore year.

“I think it was a pretty good summer, but you just want to keep going up from here,” ?Reed said.

Burchell, on the other hand, has one year left. She said she hopes to lead the team to even more success during her senior campaign. She was also part of the 4×100 meter relay team that finished sixth in the ?tournament.

“I think we can improve; some of the girls that are coming in are pretty good,” Burchell said.

Reed said he has high hopes for a leadership position this year. He will only be a sophomore, but said he believes he can lead by example.

“I definitely have experience that not a lot of the other team members have. So they might see that as something to look up to,” he said. “I’m not entirely sure, but I think I would like to step up into that role.”