Taiwanese student talks Tuscaloosa

Renwei Huang quit her job in Taiwan and came to the University of Alabama to get an experience studying abroad, but Huang said she wants more than that – Hueng wants to break the cultural barrier and improve her English in the ELI program at the University.

Q: Why did you come to America and choose UA?

A: I had a job in Taiwan but I quit it because I really want some changes in my life. I came here to experience different cultures and learn English. One of my friends and her husband live in Tuscaloosa, and they offered me the place to stay. 

Q: What do you like about campus?

A: It’s a very open and equal place. I can get opportunities to make friends with people from different countries. Campus has advanced facilities. I finished my university education in Taiwan seven years ago, and we didn’t have Wi-Fi on our campus.

Q: What is the most different from your hometown?

A: Tuscaloosa is a quiet country. Because of the language barrier, it’s still a little difficult for me to communicate with people effectively.

Q: Was it hard to adjust?

A: Yes. Because it’s my second week here, I’m still trying to find the common topics to chat with local people. I don’t know how to say ‘hi’ to other people and get their response.

Q: What’s the favorite thing Americans do?

A: They can do the everything in a very professional way, like the assistants in school departments. People love to help.

Q: What’s the weirdest thing Americans do?

A: They eat a lot. It’s hard for me to eat three or more steaks per meal.

Q: How do you feel about American food?

A: It can be better to have more vegetables and less meat.

Q: How do you feel about football?

A: I watched the football game when I was in Taiwan. The rules are complicated. I’m still trying to figure it out.