page 2 briefs

Free flu shots still available

Nurses from the University Medical Center, the Student Health Center and the Capstone College of Nursing will be giving out free flu shots to faculty, staff and students from 7:30 to 11 a.m. in Gorgas library Tuesday. The event is part of ongoing efforts by the College of Community Health Sciences and WellBAMA to vaccinate UA employees and students against the virus. Insurance is not required, but employees and students are asked to bring their CWID. For more dates and times, check the college’s website at cchs.us.edu, the UA Events Calendar or contact Amy Saxby at acsaxby@cchs.ua.edu. 

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

Express advising in Gorgas 

The College of Arts & Sciences is hosting Express Advising for first-year students in the college and undecided majors Tuesday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in 205 Gorgas. Students can meet with advisers to have their Spring 2015 course selection approved and their advising pin cleared. Advisers ask that students come to the event with potential schedules planned out and questions. For more information, contact Nancy Shockley at nancy.shockley@ua.edu or 348-9171.

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

Dance Alabama! begins first performance

The first performance of Dance Alabama! is Tuesday in Morgan Hall at 7:30 p.m. The show features pieces choreographed, designed and performed entirely by students. There will also be performances on Wednesday and Thursday. Dance Alabama! was voted on of the top 10 things to do before graduating from the University.  For more information, contact the UA Theatre and Dance department at 348-3400 or theatre.dance@ua.edu  or visit their website theatre.ua.edu.

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

“I Am A Girl” screening to benefit fundraiser

Housing & Residential Communities and the Women’s Resource Center are hosting a documentary screening of “I Am a Girl” Tuesday in the Ridgecrest South Atrium at 7 p.m. The event is kicking off the Bead For Life fundraiser. Bead For Life works to eradicate poverty and empower women by teaching them entrepreneurial skills.

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

Jay Davis lecture

Internationally acclaimed artist Jay Davis is scheduled to lecture tonight in 203 Garland at 6 p.m. Davis is scheduled to speak about his work. The Fuel and Lumber Company is presenting an installation of his work in the Tuscaloosa Project Space in conjunction with the lecture. Immediately after the lecture, guests are invited to attend a reception for the artist. Both events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact Pete Schulte at pschulte@as.ua.edu. 

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

Honors College Xpress Night

The Honors College is hosting another Xpress Night Tuesday in the Ferguson Center Starbucks from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Students in the Honors College will perform music, poetry, comedy and other works. The event is designed to allow students from all majors an outlet for creative expression.

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

A Shakespeare Movie Series film to play at Bama Theatre

“The Bad Sleep Well” will be playing Tuesday in the Bama Theatre at 7:30 p.m. The event is part of A Shakespeare Movie Series presented by The Hudson Strode Program in Renaissance Studies and the UA English Department. The series will continue throughout the winter and spring with films like “Shakeapeare Behind Bars,” “West Side Story” and “Forbidden Planet.” For more information about the event or for a full series schedule, visit tuscarts.org/calendarofevents.

Compiled by Cokie Thompson

^

WellBAMA health screenings

WellBAMA is offering health screenings for faculty and staff today from 7:45 to 11 a.m. in 205 Gorgas. The screening will check patients’ blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, body weight and height and also offer health coaching to participants. Faculty and staff who participate will receive up to a $200 Visa reward card through the WellBAMA rewards program. Faculty and staff can register at wellness.us.edu. For more information, contact the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness or Kelsi Brock at wellnesscoach@ua.edu or 348-0083. 

Compiled by Cokie Thompson