Swimming picks up wins over Cincinnati

Swimming picks up wins over Cincinnati

The Alabama swimming and diving teams took down Cincinnati in their final home meet of the season. The men’s team won 201-94, and the women won 189-103. 

The Crimson Tide appeared dominant in almost all events. This meet allowed many of the athletes to swim events they have not gotten a chance to swim in past competitions, which allows the coaches to see where the swimmers are and in which events they can swim the strongest.

Alabama coach Dennis Pursley said the meet was a vital barometer as the Crimson Tide prepares for championship season.

“It was very critical for us to see where everyone is in their preparation as we approach the SEC Championships,” he said.

Many of the team leaders picked up victories. Team standout Kristian Gkolomeev posted another victory in the 50 freestyle. Freshman Mia Nonnenberg picked up two victories, the 200 individual medley as well as the 200 backstroke.

The Crimson Tide picked up the win in most of the events. From solo to relay, the men secured victories in 13 of the 16 races.

“We learned a lot. I felt like the effort was good, and Cincinnati is solid team,” Pursley said. “We did a good job compared to what it was on paper heading into the meet. We are pleased with the results.”

The meet marked the final time the senior swimmers will compete at home. Many of the program’s alumni came out for the meet to support the team and honor the seniors. For senior captains Phillip Deaton and Emily Facchine, it was their last time swimming as the leaders of the squad.

“It was really special,” Facchine said. “Everyone gave us a really good send off.”

Deaton said the strong performance was an excellent sign before the teams head to Auburn for the conference meet.

“I thought it was really good performance for the team,” Deaton said. “Everyone was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and get focused for conference championships.”