UA dance alumna choreographs for 'The Originals'

Allison Michalke Gupton was four years old when she first saw the movie “Singin’ in the Rain” and fell in love with dance. She grew up in Powder Springs, Georgia, and attended a performing arts high school, knowing she would later pursue her passions and a degree in dance. In 2009 Gupton graduated from The University of Alabama with a bachelor of arts degree in dance and a minor in public relations. In her six years since graduating, she married her college sweetheart and accomplished a multitude of career goals.

Then:

During her four years at the University, Gupton was the founding president of the dance honor society Nu Delta Alpha, historian and vice president for Dance Alabama! and a part of Baptist Campus Ministries. She went to every home football game and as many away games as possible.

Gupton said she loved each of her dance classes, including ballet, jazz and modern. She said one of her favorite professors was Sarah Barry, who became a dance professor during Gupton’s freshman year.

“We were learning and growing together,” Gupton said. “[Barry] gave me opportunities to succeed and grow every chance she could.”

Gupton said the dance department has experienced exponential growth since her time as a student. More dance majors are performing in the University’s musicals throughout the year and Gupton said she feels like the theater and dance programs are merging together in a good way.

“I think it’s so much the same, though, because it’s still absolutely fabulous,” she said. “I love hearing how the dance department is still collaborating with different departments on campus.”

Now:

Gupton is currently a dance instructor and choreographer at three different dance studios in the metro Atlanta area. She is also a journalist and administrative assistant for Dance Informa magazine and a judge for dance competitions in different cities. 

“I do not have just one career path or job,” she said. “As do many artists, I have several paths to walk each week.”

Gupton also choreographs dance-related scenes for the CW Network’s “The Originals” and danced on the show. In February 2013 she choreographed several scenes starring Dakota Fanning and Kevin Kline in the indie movie “The Last of Robin Hood.”

“I was able to cast a few UA dance [alumni] in the movie and they danced in a 1950s chorus girl scene with Dakota, which was so fun and satisfying to see,” Gupton said.