Local cafes offer a better brew

Local coffee shops Heritage House Coffee and Edelweiss provide non-corporate coffee and pastry options for students to enjoy. Wikimedia Commons

Matt Lund

Unfortunately there truly is a scarcity of good Tuscaloosa coffee shops. When Chloe’s Cup shut its doors, both the ethereal taste of sweet potato biscuits and non-Starbucks coffee after 8 p.m. were lost forever. That being said, there are a couple more-than-serviceable cafés that you should check out next time you’re in need of a cup 
of courage.

Heritage House Coffee & Tea has been brewing hot drinks in Tuscaloosa for over twenty years. Located just over the Black Warrior River on McFarland Boulevard’s Eastern bridge, Heritage House offers more than 40 coffees from around the world and an extensive bakery boasting confections like maple pecan scones, chocolate croissants and key lime cake. They host tea parties, business meetings and even have catering available from their café menu. If you can’t make it through the morning without a pot at home, Heritage House also sells gourmet coffee in bulk. It is open through the week 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and closed on Sundays.

Edelweiss German Coffee Shop and Bakery calls to anyone with an 
insatiable love for baked goods. For those whose primary mode of transportation is their own feet, the walk downtown to Temerson square is a lot more manageable than getting up and over the bridge to Heritage House. The German pastries at Edelweiss are delightful, delicious and enthralling, but for those who have grown out of a sweet tooth the bakery still holds treasure. If you go, you must order a pretzel roll – preferably two of them – with jam, butter and cream cheese. No matter how you choose to adorn your golden brown roll of pretzel-y goodness, you will be happy and satisfied. If you need a little more oomph to your meal, or if you’re just feeling particularly Bavarian, Andy’s special is comprised of a pretzel roll, bratwurst and sauerkraut. The coffee at Edelweiss doesn’t come in a lot of varieties, but what they do make, they make very well. Brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and lattes – simple and good. Edelweiss is open through the week from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.