Women's club volleyball balances competitions, academics

Freshman Bailey Spivey said the club takes up a significant amount of her time. Spivey said this forces her to plan her school work around volleyball practices, but she said this actually helps her keep up with her studies, since she often 
studies for tests well ahead of time.

“You have to know how to handle your studies and be able to balance them both,” Spivey said. “It’s been really good for me.”

Spivey, majoring in pre-physical therapy, is not the only club member who works hard to keep up with her academics. Several of her teammates have rigorous schedules as they seek to become nurses, engineers and doctors.

Even Club President Andrea Barron, a nursing student, has to balance her obligations to the club with the demands of the classroom. Barron said one of her favorite things about the club is its diversity. She said it has allowed her to branch out and make friends with people that she ordinarily would never have met.

“We are a really close-knit team,” Barron said. “I know I can trust any of these girls, count on any of these girls. If I ever need anything, they’re always there for me.”

Sophomore Lavinia Doan said the club’s close personal bond does not affect its competitive mentality. She said practices are enjoyable but intense.

“We are all really good friends, so it’s not just that the atmosphere is fun, it’s serious as well,” Doan said. “It’s a good balance of everything.”

Competition is important to the club. This past fall around 60 girls competed just to make the team. Barron said the increased interest in joining the club has translated into better play on the court.

When the club is not competing, the girls like to get together as a group. One of the best bonding activities the club has found is community service.

“It’s just overall a good thing to give back to the community,” Spivey said. “It’s fun too. We went and did Habitat for Humanity, which was incredible. We have talked about going back many times.”

Those who are interested in witnessing the team in action can attend the team’s only home tournament of the year on April 11 in the South Gym of the Student Recreation Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.