Corolla to return after cancellation

“Using a traditional format with tech-savvy innovations, the Corolla’s content will focus on preserving the broader Alabama experience and offer students an opportunity to be in the book in ways that capture their own individual experiences on campus during the year,” the email read.

The email stated the yearbook would cover events from the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters, with distribution in July 2015.

In the past, the Corolla was a student-run publication managed by the Office of Student Media. Deborah Lane, associate vice president of media relations, said in an emailed statement Monday management of the Corolla has shifted.

“The University has decided to continue the 123-year-old tradition of producing a yearbook by publishing the 2014-15 Corolla,” Lane said. “This year’s Corolla will be produced by University Relations with content developed with significant student and campus input. It will focus on capturing the UA experience while offering all students the opportunity to be in the book in ways that capture their time on campus.”

The decision to halt publication of the Corolla was made in September of 2014, after over a decade of declining sales. In order to counter this apparent lack of interest, Lane said the publication’s new management hopes to increase student participation and input.

“We are working on new ways to enhance awareness and interest in purchasing the yearbook, while keeping costs affordable,” she said. “We want the 2014-15 Corolla to be inclusive, appealing and memorable.”

Lane said the inclusiveness of the new publication will likely contribute to an increase in sales.

“Because all students who participated in graduation in August or December 2014 or May 2015 will have their pictures in the yearbook and because students will be able to upload their own pictures and content that reflects their own UA experience, we hope that students, parents and alumni will have a compelling reason to purchase this year’s Corolla,” she said.

Chris Roberts, chairman of the Media Planning Board, said the Board attempted several times to gain funding to continue publication of a student-controlled yearbook, but the University ultimately chose to halt it instead.

“As advertising gets more difficult in all of print media, the Media Planning Board knew, and knew years ago, that we could not continue to subsidize the yearbook’s losses with money that the Crimson White needed to continue doing its excellent work,” he said. “So after several instances of asking the University for a way to help subsidize the student-run yearbook, the University chose not to do that.”

Roberts said the Media Planning Board did not have a say in the decision to reinstate publication of the Corolla and that he is disappointed that it will no longer be a student-run publication, but instead run by the public relations arm of the University.

“I’m happy that we have a yearbook,” he said. “I’m disappointed that there will be no student editors involved in this.”

Lane said all students will be allowed to submit content to this year’s Corolla, and that student organizations will also be featured.

“Students will be able to provide content that reflects their own UA experience by going to http://www.alabamayearbooks.com and uploading photos,” she said. “Every student organization will be asked to provide photos and content.”

Volume 123 of the Corolla can be ordered for $49 through alabamayearbooks.com.