The Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award: Jason Arterburn

The Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award recognizes the excellence of character and service to humanity demonstrated by one graduating female, one graduating male and one non-student associated with the University. While the other four premier awards are recognized only at the University level, Arterburn’s award is nationally recognized, he said.

Arterburn said The Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award is considered the University’s highest honor of the five Premier Awards. The three pillars that must be met in order to receive the award are academic success, demonstrative leadership and service to humanity.

“I applied for this award because those three pillars have been equal priorities for me throughout my undergraduate career,” Arterburn said. “As cliché and trite as it might sound, I also wanted this to honor my parents, faculty members and mentors, who have helped me achieve such success throughout my time at the University.”

Bradley Tuggle, an assistant professor in the Honors College, recommended Arterburn for the award because he said he never worked with a student who has been more accomplished than Arterburn has.

“Jason is perhaps the single, most prepared student for his chosen profession that I have ever been around,” Tuggle said. “He is phenomenally well-rounded, intellectually competent in his chosen area and has the experiential knowledge.”

Arterburn said he attributes his success to his mentors and others because of the guidance and wisdom they were able to impart to him. He said he would like to sincerely thank Jacqueline Morgan, Tuggle, Thomas Herwig and Shane Sharpe.