Spicer leads AIRC to success in 2015

Spicer leads AIRC to success in 2015

Brett Spicer, a senior majoring in economics and history from Statesville, North Carolina, currently serves as president of the Alabama International Relations Club. Spicer joined the AIRC during his freshman year.

Question: How did you get involved in the Alabama International Relations Club?

A: I participated in Model United Nations in high school and wanted to continue that involvement in college. I heard that AIRC housed the Model UN team at Alabama, and so I sought them out at Get on Board Day. Not only was I able to continue my involvement with Model UN on the collegiate level, but I got involved with many other activities as well.

Q: What are some of the highlights of the past year?

A: AIRC has enjoyed a tremendous amount of success this year, and I’m extremely proud of what we have been able to accomplish. Some highlights include hosting our largest ever high school Model UN conference with schools from around the Southeast, teaching foreign languages in Tuscaloosa middle schools, starting and facilitating Model UN teams at high schools in the Black Belt and promoting international affairs on campus. In my opinion, our biggest accomplishment was winning the Most Outstanding Large Delegation Award at a conference hosted by Harvard University in Lima, Peru. This award represents the highest honor of any North American university at the entire conference. Additionally, it is the most prestigious award the AIRC has ever received in our decorated and successful past.

Q: What are you most excited about for the future of AIRC?

A: I am most excited to see what AIRC is able to accomplish next. Each year I’ve been involved with the club, it has grown in size and accomplishments. Even after I leave, I look forward to the club continuing to excel by taking more members to new Model UN conferences, expanding upon community service opportunities both in Tuscaloosa and in surrounding areas and making UA students more globally minded and aware of international affairs.

Q: What have you learned from being president?

A: Serving as president of AIRC has been a great learning experience. One major thing I have learned is how to balance my personal and professional life. I have made many good friends through the club, and it can be difficult to have differing opinions over important club matters. However, it is critical to remember that everyone has the best interest of AIRC in mind, and I do not let differences in opinions affect the mission and goals of AIRC or my personal friendships. Additionally, the lessons in effective leadership I have learned from leading a club with as much success as AIRC will aid me throughout my career and life.

Q: What legacy do you hope to leave after your term as president is over?

A: I hope that through AIRC I am able to leave The University of Alabama better than when I first arrived on campus. Through AIRC, more students are aware of and engaged with international affairs and leave Alabama prepared to interact in a highly globalized society. Additionally, giving Alabama students more opportunities for travel to Model UN conferences really helps expand their horizons. These conferences truly helped define my Alabama experience, and providing chances for more students to attend more conferences would be a great legacy.

Q: What would you say to someone who is interested in becoming involved?

A: I would tell them that even if they are only mildly considering getting involved, they should give AIRC a chance. For me, it has been an awesome extra-curricular experience that has provided phenomenal opportunities for my collegiate career. If you are interested in international relations, the United Nations, foreign languages or really just getting involved on campus, AIRC is a great opportunity. I would encourage all UA students, regardless of discipline, to consider getting involved with the Alabama International Relations Club. It provides great learning, community service and international experiences, and who knows, you may just end up in Peru.

Q: When are the IRC meetings?

A: The Alabama International Relations Club meetings are on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. in Bidgood 340. For more information about our club and its activities, like us on Facebook at Alabama International Relations Club or follow our Twitter account @AlabamaIRC. Also, feel free to email our club account [email protected] or me personally at [email protected]. I look forward to meeting new club members.