Bell recommended to succeed Bonner

Bell recommended to succeed Bonner
Jim Zietz

Bell’s academic career has taken him across the southeast. After earning a bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering and a master’s degree and doctorate in mechanical engineering from Texas A&M, Bell joined the UA College of Engineering in 1986. He served as the chair of the department of mechanical 
engineering from 1995 to 2002 and also established the Center for Advanced Vehicle Technologies, serving as director from 1998 to 2002.

From the Capstone, Bell accepted the Dean of Engineering position at the University of Kansas, which he held until 2012. In April of that year Bell moved to Baton Rouge to take the role of chief academic officer at LSU before assuming his current position as executive vice president and provost.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as provost at LSU for the last three years,” Bell said in a press release sent by LSU’s university relations. “Susan and I have truly enjoyed our time at LSU, a great university made up of incredible people – faculty, staff, alumni and students. All of these groups have come together to make many achievements possible.”

Bell was oversaw growth and improvements while at LSU, including programs for academics, students and research and the monetary operations coordination related to those programs.

“Stuart has been an invaluable member of my senior leadership team since my arrival in 2013. His insights and leadership have been vital as we moved from a system model into one LSU,” said F. King Alexander, president and chancellor of LSU via a press release from the school. “He will be deeply missed by the entire LSU family.”

Witt will officially recommend Bell at the Board of Trustees meeting in Tuscaloosa on June 18. If approved by the Board, Bell will take over as president July 15.