UA to host Spring Get on Board day: Excursion

WHAT: “Spring Get On Board Day: Excursion”

The theme for this year’s SGOBD is “EXCURSION: Explore. Discover. Get Involved.”

“Students have the opportunity to visit the SOURCE Involvement Genius stations to assess their interests which are then measured to gage which student organizations are the best fit for them,” said MyKala Johnson, Director of Partnership Development for the SOURCE. “Students will receive a GOBD passport to keep with them throughout their excursion. From there ‘Tour Guides’ will lead the student to the student organization tables that match his or her results. We will have volunteers stationed throughout the ballroom to stamp students’ passports once they have genuinely engaged with student organization members.”

There will be life-size games that students will have the option to participate in such as Jenga, Snakes and Ladders, bowling, corn hole and checkers, as well as an assortment of board games.

There will be a fully equipped photo booth with special effects features. Students will have the opportunity to create all kinds of selfies using this technology. The pictures taken will be posted to The SOURCE’s Facebook page after SGOBD and students will have the option to tag themselves to enter the “BEST SELFIE” contest. The best selfie will win a prize.

There will be a DJ playing music throughout the night and Resonance and Rip Tide will perform after 6 p.m.

There will be a variety of refreshments including Steel City Pops, hot chocolate, assorted beverages, Dunkin Donuts, hot hors d’oeuvres, over 1,500 Chick-Fil-A nuggets, fruit, pot stickers, spinach dip and chips. Free Steel City Pops will go to the first 300 attendees.

Over 150 organizations are registered to attend. The represented organizations will include academic, advocacy, social/fraternal, military, honor societies, cultural/intercultural/identity-based, arts/entertainment, service, professional/law, religious/spiritual, recreational/athletic and political.

Online registration is no longer open, according to the Student Affairs website. Those interested are instructed to contact Student Involvement.

WHEN: Tuesday, Jan. 19 from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

WHERE: Ferguson Student Center

WHY: “I believe that Spring Get On Board Day is significant for both underclassmen and upperclassmen,” Johnson said. “Freshmen may have gotten involved in organizations that do not enrich their development as a student or professional. Sophomores may have become less engaged or uninterested in an organization they only joined because their friend convinced them during the fall semester. Transfer students of all classifications want to feel a part of the capstone to ease their transition and socialize with like-minded peers. Perhaps the timid, shy introvert may have been too overwhelmed by the crowds of people and chaos of Fall Get On Board Day. All of these reasons motivated us to create a personal, tailored-made experience for students this spring. No matter the scenario of how a student has become uninvolved, students will walk away from this unique experience with peace of mind knowing they have connected with an organization that’s true to their interests and passions.”