Women's tennis falls to Oklahoma State during Blue Gray National Tennis Classic

The Alabama women’s tennis team were unable to follow up its first round victory in the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic as it fell to No. 11 Oklahoma State on Saturday, 4-0. 

The Crimson Tide lost, 4-1, to the Cowgirls back on Feb. 6 as part of the ITA National Indoor Championship, and it saw a similar result on Saturday.

Oklahoma State earned the doubles point with a 6-0 defeat over senior Natalia Maynetto and junior Joanna Nena Savva and a 6-3 victory over sophomore Aryn Greene and junior Danielle Spielmann. Alabama’s top pair of freshman Andie Daniell and junior Erin Routliffe were leading 5-3 when doubles play halted.

The singles play was more contested but still went Oklahoma State’s way. Savva fell 6-3, 6-1 to give the Cowgirls a 2-0 lead, and they extended it to 3-0 when Spielmann lost 6-0, 6-2.

All four remaining matches went to three sets. The first one to finish did so in favor of Oklahoma State, as Daniell fell 2-6, 7-5, 6-0 to clinch the win for Oklahoma State. Routliffe trailed 4-3 in her third set, while Maynetto was tied 3-3, and Greene faced a 2-1 deficit when play was stopped.

The loss drops Alabama to 4-4 on the year. The Crimson Tide opens SEC play on Thursday, March 3 at home against No. 12 LSU. The match is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. CT and is expected to be the first home match played outdoors for Alabama this season.