Tide Talks XIX will showcase students’ “Revolutionary Ideas”

Tide Talks XIX, the last Tide Talks event of the semester, will provide a variety of diverse students with the opportunity to showcase their talents and revolutionary ideas this Friday, April 21. 

Tide Talks is a student-run organization, founded in 2013, dedicated to providing students from different parts of campus with an opportunity to share the experiences and lessons they have learned during their time at The University of Alabama. Tide Talks events are traditionally eclectic mixes of student speeches and performances. Tide Talks XIX is no different, featuring student talks, poetry readings, musical performances and a short documentary film screening.

WHO: The event is hosted by Tide Talks and is open to the public.

WHAT: Mary Catherine Connors, Chris Lancaster, Delphanie Wu and Jacob Olson are the four students scheduled to speak. Tonte Ferry will read poetry, and EJ Harrell will be singing. A documentary film examining deafness in an impoverished Alabama community, created by students in a documenting justice class, will be shown as well.

WHEN: Tide Talks XIX is on Friday, April 21 at 7 p.m.

WHERE: The talk will be held in Russell Hall, which is located at 504 University Boulevard.

WHY: “What makes Tide Talks events so special is the fact that the four speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests,” said Lauren Crawford, the president of Tide Talks and a junior studying economics and finance. “The live audience gets to hear from students they may have never met talking about topics that they may be unfamiliar with or interested to learn more about — something I think college students should be challenging themselves to do their entire college career.”