UA ranked No. 4 in list of military-friendly colleges

A recent ranking released by bestcolleges.com places The University of Alabama at No. 4 in a list of America’s Top Military-Friendly Colleges.

“…The U.S. military remains one of the largest armed forces in the world,” the introduction to the list said. “…In response to these high numbers, the federal government has launched several programs and initiatives aimed at veterans and active-duty military personnel who wish to attend college and earn an accredited degree.”

It goes on to explain different programs by which schools offer support to veterans and members of military families. Rankings were based on the services that each school provided.

Out of the 22 colleges ranked, the University was ranked at No. 4 for its more than 60 online degree and certificate pathways and its partnership with GoArmyEd that assists first-time students with a military background with college applications, class registration, tuition payments and more.

The explanation for the ranking went on to include programs offered through the University’s Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

“[There is] VetSuccess, a Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) program that connects licensed vocational counselors with military students and dependents, the VITAL initiative aimed at improving health services for student veterans, and the Textbooks for Troops program that enables military students to check out textbooks for free,” the list said.

Along with their ranking and explanation, each school received a ranking score. The Capstone received a 64.32 – just under the 65 that the No. 3 school, the University of North Dakota, received, and about four points ahead of the No. 5 school, University of Maryland – University College. Fort Hays State University topped the list with a score of 71.36.