University OIT Monitoring Effects of DDOS Attack

WWW.SHOCK.CO.BA

This afternoon, The University of Alabama’s Office of Information Technology sent out an e-mail stating that Dyn was the target of a distributed denial of service, or DDOS, attack. Dyn is a DNS provider for American internet websites that hosts major internet services such as Twitter, Spotify, Box, Qualtrics, Reddit, Etsy, Wired and PayPal.

The OIT stated in the e-mail that the source of the attack was unknown, but that they were monitoring the sites and programs used by the University and its students for further developments.

The White House has become aware of the attack that occurred today and has said that authorities are monitoring websites to determine if this was a “criminal act,” according to Reuters.

According to Dyn, attacks started around 7:10 a.m. ET, and targeted their managed DNS infrastructure that directs users to the correct webpages that they search.

The Department of Homeland Security is “looking into all potential causes” of the attack, according to CNBC, and one U.S. official reportedly told NBC News that North Korea had been ruled out as a suspect.

There is currently no evidence that the attack was intended at attaining undisclosed information for any users, and was intended only to deny access to the Dyn managed sites.

The Crimson White will continue to monitor this story as it develops.

UPDATE: The University of Alabama’s Office of Information Technology has released another e-mail stating that in discussions with University partners affected by the Dyn DDOS this morning, they have been assured “that although accessibility to platforms has been affected intermittently throughout the day, all data is secure and has not been impacted.”