Stage Makeup teaches theatre students how to transform their appearance

During this class, the students learn a variety of stage makeup skills. From creating the appearance of injuries to morphing their faces into different types of animals with the use of cream and prosthetic makeup, theatre students are taught all types of stage makeup.

“I never really thought about how much work and craftsmanship actually has to go into the hair and makeup,” said Peyton Wiseman, a marketing major taking the class as an elective this semester.

If you’re not lacking in artistic skills, don’t fear. You can come up with your own ideas and do assignments at your own skill level.

Every week there is a different makeup look that needs to be done in accordance to a theme; animals, cartoons and blood and gore to name a few. First, the students are taught certain stage makeup techniques. Next they must research images to use as inspiration. Then they sketch out their designs and compose a character analysis on the character they will be portraying that week. Finally, they come to their two-hour lab prepared to utilize their skills and apply the stage makeup to fulfill their creative vision.

In the most recent classes, the students have been using scar wax to change certain features of their faces.

“Scar wax is so sticky and messy and hard to work with. I have much appreciation for those people that do this as a full time job,” said Wiseman.

This class is not just about applying makeup, it can also help your hand-eye coordination and other practical skills. Laura Mafla is a biology and theatre double major. She wants to become a surgeon, and this makeup class has helped her in cultivating the skills that she 
will need.

“I learned and developed a lot of manual dexterity that I am going to need for surgery,” said Mafla. “I had to really pay attention to a lot of detail of 
someone’s anatomy.”

Many people do not think about how art and science complement each other and are essentially intertwined.

“I hope that people don’t try and separate arts and science and realize that you can learn about both through each other,” she said.

Some students are fascinated by the concept of this class and choose to take it just for fun.

“This was more of a fun class for me,” said Peyton Wiseman. “However, as a girl it definitely helps with your everyday makeup application. Everyone wants to look thinner, so you can do that 
with makeup.”

Knowing these skills will especial come in handy in just a couple of weeks. Wiseman said she’d never been more excited for Halloween.