Alabama defeats Florida State in Chick-Fil-A kickoff game

ATLANTA – The No.1 Alabama Crimson Tide defeated the No. 3 Florida State Seminoles 24-7 in the first college football game to ever be played in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. After a close first half, the Crimson Tide turned the moment with a strong end to the third quarter, scoring 11 points to take control of the game.

Moment of the Game

Running back Damien Harris blocks a punt with 4:17 left in the third quarter to shift the momentum in Alabama’s favor.

Offensive Player of the Game

Matthew Speakman – Damien Harris

Cody Estremera – Calvin Ridley

Defensive Player of the Game

Matthew Speakman – Levi Wallace

Cody Estremera – Shaun Dion Hamilton

Notes:

• Jalen Hurts hit Calvin Ridley for a 51-yard strike to retake the lead early in the second quarter. Ridley is now tied for fifth on Alabama’s career touchdown receptions list and career receiving yards with 15 touchdowns and 1,902-yards.
  • Freshmen played a lot of snaps in the first half, most notably DeVonta Smith and Jerry Jeudy on offense.
  • Alabama led going into the half 10-7.
  • Alabama’s defense allowed just 24 rushing yards at half, for an average of 1.8 yards a carry.
  • Linebacker Anfernee Jennings was carted off the field in the second quarter.
  • Shawn Dion Hamilton made his return after tearing his ACL last year in the SEC Championship. He finished with 8 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and 1 sack.
  • Alabama’s special teams gained the momentum late in the third quarter, blocking a punt and forcing a fumble on a kickoff return. Damien Harris blocked the punt then scored on the first play after the fumble recovery. The plays led to 11 Alabama points. 
  • Levi Wallace had a good day for Alabama after taking over for Trevon Diggs. Wallace had a crucial interception with 56 seconds left in the third quarter.