University releases statement on DACA

President Trump ordered an end to the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, on Tuesday. Trump plans to phase out the program’s protections in six months  and urged Congress to pass a replacement before then. Ending DACA could leave as many as 800,000 undocumented people newly vulnerable to deportation. Former President Obama enacted this program via executive order in 2012, stating that children brought illegally into the U.S. could stay in the country.

In a statement released Wednesday, Kellee Reinhart, a spokesperson for The University of Alabama System, detailed how the reversal of DACA would impact UA students.

The statement reads as follows: 

“We are currently evaluating the impact of the Administration’s decision on students at our institutions. We will work closely with those potentially impacted, keeping their well-being as our highest priority. We also support legislative solutions that will allow impacted students to remain valued members of our university communities.”

President Trump said in a statement that he chose to discontinue DACA for, “the millions of Americans victimized by this unfair system.”

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, former AG for the state of Alabama, supported the president’s decision. 

“[DACA] denied jobs to hundreds of thousands of Americans by allowing those same illegal aliens to take those jobs,” Sessions said. 

Former President Obama felt differently, calling President Trump’s decision “wrong,” “self-defeating,” and “cruel.”