Grant Stuckey and Alexey Nesterov pick up wins in last day of Samford Fall Invite

Crimson Tide Photos / UA Athletics

The University of Alabama men’s tennis competed in the Samford Fall Invite in Birmingham, Ala at the Samford University Tennis Center. Freshmen Grant Stuckey and sophomore Alexey Nesterov competed all three days and each won their singles matches to close out the invite. 

In day one, Nesterov swept Samford’s Justin Ghavami in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Stuckey fell to Eduardo Lourido of Samford, 6-2, 6-0. In doubles play, Stuckey and Nesterov were defeated by Loic Cloes and Clement Marzol of South Alabama, 6-0, in their first match.

On Saturday, Nesterov fell, 6-3, 7-5, to Clement Marzol of South Alabama, while Stuckey dropped to Olivier Gingas of South Alabama, 6-1, 6-3. In doubles play, Stuckey and Nesterov were defeated by Hendrik Inno and Vincent Sterkens of Belmont, 6-4.

Finally, on Sunday, The Crimson Tide’s Stuckey and Nesterov both picked up singles wins in the final day of the Samford Fall Invite in Birmingham, AL. 

Nesterov claimed a tightly contested three-set match over Vincent Sterkens of Belmont, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5, while Stuckey took down Jake Briggs of Belmont in three sets, 1-6, 6-1, 6-2. In doubles play, Stuckey and Nesterov were defeated by Jake Faundez and Eduardo Lourido of Samford, 6-0.

Alabama men’s tennis will return to action at the ITA Regional Championships on Thursday, Oct. 19, in Baton Rouge, La.