Nearby outdoor hotspots to check out during fall break

Caroline Japal

Summer is gone and the temperatures are dropping, at least theoretically. Lucky for Tuscaloosa, there’s a cold snap expected during Fall Break, so if you’re banking on the forecast, you might seek somewhere to enjoy the cool breeze and the crisp air when there’s no homework to do. Here is a list of some of the most scenic places to enjoy the fall weather in the Tuscaloosa area.

The University of Alabama Arboretum

15 minutes from campus

Free admission

The Arboretum possesses a setting of more diverse flora than can be seen on just any ol’ walking trail. The University of Alabama maintains an arboretum for botanical education. Visitors can expect to enjoy various gardens, plant species and walking trails. Dogs are permitted on a leash. 

Lurleen State Park

26 minutes from campus

$4 admission

This well-kept state park offers 23.4 miles of hiking trails, a 250-acre lake stocked with a variety of fish, canoe and paddle boat rentals, mountain biking and camping. Lurleen State Park offers essentially anything outdoorsy you can think of, all with the view of a beautiful lake and an abundance of lush greenery.

Moundville Archaeological Park

29 minutes from campus

$6 admission

If you’re looking for a little bit of a history lesson to spice up your day of outdoor adventures, you might consider Moundville Archeological Park. Moundville was the site of a Native American village comprised of large mounds of earth, from which the park derives its name. The park is home to nature trails, picnic areas, a campground and a museum.

Bowers Park (Disc Golf)

8 minutes from campus

Free admission

Look no further for an athletic way to spend your time outdoors. This park has a disc golf course with 18 holes positioned throughout the park—some in the woods, some in the open, some by the creek. Disc golf doubles as a sport and a stroll through nature’s sights. So, gather a team, and go enjoy your fall break on the course.