Alabama softball outscores opponents 23-0 in Friday doubleheader

Jacob Arthur

Jacob Arthur

CW File

Ehsan Kassim

Penn State had a chance to strike first on Friday morning, as it loaded the bases with outs against freshman Madison Preston, who was making her college debut. The Nittany Lions were unable to capitalize.

Alabama’s offense came alive and ended the game after just five innings, due to the mercy rule. The final score was 10-0.

On the mound, Preston was impressive. In five innings she allowed just one hit, struck out two and walked two. 

The Crimson Tide scored its first run in the bottom of the third when senior Sydney Booker scored on an error. Sophomore Gabby Callaway drove in three runs on a triple to push Alabama’s lead to 4-0 and forcing a pitching change.

Alabama tacked on two more runs before the inning ended, including an RBI single by freshman Kaylee Tow.

The fourth inning started with back-to-back singles before sophomore Elissa Brown sacrificed bunted the runners in scoring position. Junior Caroline Hardy drove in a run on an RBI groundout and an RBI single from Sophomore Bailey Hemphill pushed the score to 8-0.

Callaway’s double was enough to score the speedy pinch-runner senior Rachel Bobo from first base.

Senior Carrigan Fain drove in the final Alabama run on a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the fourth.

Then, Alabama won its third straight game to start the season with a 13-0 win over Lamar. The Crimson Tide was led by junior Courtney Gettins, who pitched a no-hitter in her Alabama debut.

Gettins pitched five shutout innings, struck out one hitter and walked just two.

Alabama’s offense scored its first run of the second game of the day in the first inning on an RBI single by sophomore Bailey Hemphill. Alabama exploded for nine runs in the second inning to jump ahead 10-0.

Senior Sydney Booker got the second inning going with an RBI single and scored later in the inning on a bases loaded double by Hemphill. Freshman Kaylee Tow scored on an error and then senior Peyton Grantham drove in two more runs with two outs on a single. 

Junior Merris Schroder rounded the bases and drove in three runs on an inside-the-park homerun to cap the scoring in the second and give Alabama a 10-0 lead.

In the third, Tow made a great catch, robbing a home run and keeping Gettin’s no-hitter in tact.

Alabama added three more runs in the fourth inning. Sophomore Claire Jenkins drove in two runs to make it 12-0 and freshman Kyra Lockhart collected her first hit and drove in her first career run on a single to left.

Gettins finished Lamar off in order in the top of the fifth to preserve the win for Alabama and the no-hitter.

Alabama returns to action on Saturday with concluding play at the Sand Dollar Classic with a game against Virginia Tech at 10 a.m. and Florida A&M at noon.