Local indie bookstore Ernest & Hadley slates spring events

Caroline Japal

Independent bookstores often play a role in their communities, and Tuscaloosa’s independent – or “indie,” for short – bookstore does just that.

Ernest & Hadley Booksellers, located in a refurbished blue cottage on 7th Street, strives to provide a distinct selection of books and creative materials that are different from other book stores, like nationwide chains. The book store is also known to host book club meetings, book signings for authors and art exhibits. With April being National Poetry Month, Ernest & Hadley is offering an array of events for their customers and patrons. Here’s a list of events that are coming to Ernest & Hadley Booksellers this April.

Book signing and discussion with Michael Martone and Dustin Parsons 

Tonight, Wednesday April 4

Tonight, Wednesday April 4, Ernest & Hadley are hosting authors Michael Martone, a UA professor of creative writing, and Dustin Parsons, who will both be discussing their new books and latest additions to “Crux: The Georgia Series in Literary Nonfiction,” a series heralded by the University of Georgia Press. Martone’s “Brooding: Arias, Choruses, Lullabies, Follies, Dirges” is a collection of more than 25 essays that touches on an array of subjects from everyday items such as keys to the concepts of time and place. It’s Martone’s fourth book of essays to be published by the University of Georgia Press. Additionally, Parson’s “Exploded View: Essays on Fatherhood, with Diagrams” entails essays that toy with how illustration and text work together in print to tell a life story. The book signing begins at 5:30 p.m. at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers followed by a discussion starting at 6 p.m. After the discussion, there will be a reception at Monarch Espresso Bar from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Books will be available for sale at both locations.

Other People’s Poems 

Friday, April 6

Other People’s Poem’s is an event where participants will recite poems and share a drink while listening to other poets. However, there are two rules for this event. First, poets must have their poems memorized, which means bringing paper to the stage isn’t allowed. Second, the poem cannot be the reciter’s own writing, meaning it must be someone else’s poem. Visiting poets Franciszka Voeltz and Jennifer Morales will be attending the event. Voeltz has two decades worth of experience helping the Tuscaloosa community with writing workshops and readings. Morales is a poet, fiction writer and performance artist whose writing tackles the topics of gender, identity, complicity and harm. Those who want to listen without participating are also encouraged to join, and the event is welcome to children. There will also be refreshments served. Other People’s Poems starts at 6:15 p.m. at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers this Friday, April 6.

Celebrating National Poetry Month with Jacqueline Trimble 

Saturday, April 14

This Saturday, April 14, Jacqueline Allen Trimble and her award-winning book “American Happiness” will be coming to Ernest & Hadley. Trimble’s “American Happiness” discusses America’s refusal to confront certain truths in life. It also analyzes numerous struggles that everyday people might go through in life. The book touches on topics of losing a loved one to racial tension. The event is at 10:30 a.m. at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers.

Book Signing with Jahman Ariel Hill

Friday, April 20

Jahman Ariel Hill will be celebrating his one year anniversary of his first book of poetry, “Made From My Mother’s Ceilings,” at Ernest & Hadley. The event will start at 4 p.m. with readings starting at 4:20 p.m. on Friday, April 20.