April slammed with National Poetry Month events

April is National Poetry Month, and students across campus are finding ways to celebrate the art form. From student organizations or small activities for personal enjoyment, there’s no shortage of ways to celebrate poetry in April. Here’s a look at the rest of the month’s upcoming poetry events and activities. 

30/30: All month 

Throughout the entire month of April, many poetry lovers write a new poem every day, hence the name 30/30. This activity can be done with a group or privately at your own pace. Though April has already begun, it’s not too late to start creating something new in the spirit of the holiday. As long as you’re writing every day, no one will know if you had to make up a little for lost time. Daily prompts are posted online at 3030poetry.com.

The Great Campus Write-In: April 9

This Monday afternoon, the English Department is hosting a drop-in event for campus writers in Gorgas 205. Those looking for writing help, inspiration or a sense of community can join fellow students, University librarians and Writing Center tutors from 1-4 p.m. Refreshments will be provided. 

ASAP Workshop, Performing on Stage: April 10

Those who want to perform their poetry  are invited to a workshop hosted by the Alabama Student Association for Poetry at 3:30 p.m. in the Ferg Student Center, 3700 Forum. The workshop will be led by Kimberly Casey, who will teach participants key tips and tricks for calming nerves and bringing their work from the page to the stage.

ASAP Tuesdays Open Mic & Team Selection Slam: April 17

Join ASAP at Monarch Espresso bar as they welcome Individual World Poetry Slam finalist RJ Walker. The goal for slam participants isn’t money or bragging rights this time — it’s a spot on the summer slam team. Sign-up starts at 6:30 p.m., and the show begins at 7 p.m.

ASAP Workshop, Persona Poems: April 18

Students are invited to join ASAP for a workshop hosted by RJ Walker from 12-1 p.m. in the Ferg Student Center, 3115 Anderson Society Room. Walker will teach about the art of crafting persona poems.

Shakespeare’s Birth/Deathday: April 23

The exact date of William Shakespeare’s death isn’t known, but many historians believe his birthday was the same as the date of his death, April 23. People use this day to celebrate the Bard worldwide. Some common practices are sending out his sonnets to friends and loved ones, writing original sonnets in his honor, hosting Shakespearean insult contests and reading his famous, lyrical plays.

ASAP Workshop, Movement Matters: April 26

ASAP’s final workshop of the month will be from 3:30-4:45 p.m. at the Intercultural Diversity Center. Workshop leader Jay Ward will teach how body movement can enhance live poetry performance.

Poem in Your Pocket Day: April 26

This April marks a decade of Poem in Your Pocket Day as an official National Poetry Month tradition. To celebrate, participants carry a poem of their choice to share with others throughout the day. Read it to friends and classmates, or take pictures of where you bring your poem and share the literary love online with the hashtag #pocketpoem.

Crosspollen: An Outdoor Poetry, Art and Science Symposium: April 27

Drastically different disciplines team up at Deerlick Creek Park Amphitheater on Friday, April 27, for a symposium held by local writers and researchers. The event will include workshops, live music and campfire refreshments. The family-friendly event is free and open to the public. However, space for workshops is limited. For those wishing to participate in workshops, email [email protected] to RSVP by April 20.

ASAP’s 30/30 $1,000 SLAM: April 30

A month’s worth of work and festivities will culminate at Monarch Espresso Bar as ASAP offers $1,000 in prizes for students competing in the slam with their April poems. The slam begins at 7 p.m.

Poem-A-Day reading: All month 

If you love to read poems but don’t have time to go looking for new works every day this month, sign up online for a free poem-a-day subscription. Websites like poets.org will email subscribers selected poems every day in April as part of the celebration.