Big Al to be featured on new UA action card

A new action card has been in the works, and it has been determined that it will feature Denny Chimes, as it currently does, with the addition of Big Al in the foreground. 

Before the new design was decided on, students, faculty and the public took to social media to vote on it. 

After the Division of Strategic Communications came up with six design options, the votes between the two top choices were so close, the Action Card Office worked with the printing vendor to decide what look best fit the new technology within the card. The end result was adding Big Al. 

“I think it looks a lot newer and more fun and welcoming than the old action card,” said Carlee Blue, a freshman majoring in human development. 

Jeanine Brooks, action card director, said it has been twelve years since the last design change, and they wanted to give it a refreshing look. Brooks said it was important students got a say in the design because it’s their card. 

“We thought it was best that the students decide,” Brooks said. 

Brooks said the new card will have a chip in it that will make transactions more efficient and secure. Brooks said incoming fall freshman will have the new card, and more information will be released in the summer or fall for returning students to receive their new card. 

“We will have some really good communication come out,” Brooks said. 

The new card will not be an expense for students, and while students wait for their new card, the old card will remain fully functional.

Grace Burleson, a freshman majoring in communicative disorders, said she thought the new design was cute. 

“Big Al is more recognizable,” Burleson said. “He’s such a character on and off campus.”