UA professor and son tag team at Band of Brothers show

In the realm of music, there is always room for more aspiring artists. A fairly new band, Cats of Kentuck, will be showcasing their talent as well as opening up for the experienced band, Doobie “Doghouse” Wilson and Friends, at the Band of Brothers Brewing Co. this Saturday, April 28.

Wilson, who off the stage is UA professor of engineering Alan Lane, has been playing for 15 years and is debuting his fifth album at the Band of Brothers concert on April 28. Lane’s previous albums have also been featured in The Crimson White in the past.

“I have been playing seriously for 15 years,” Lane said. “From the time I was in middle school, I knew I wanted to play an instrument. When I was about 48, I decided that before I turned 50, I wanted to do something outside of playing privately.”

This occasion will not be the first time Lane and his band have been featured at Band of Brothers Brewing Co. The band has played annual concerts there for several years.

Charles Lane, Alan Lane’s son, is also a musician. He’s the songwriter, lead vocalist and a guitarist for the band Cats of Kentuck, which is opening up for Alan Lane at the event. Charles Lane considers his style more akin to rock and roll/blues whereas his son’s ventures into a different wheelhouse.  

“I would describe our genre as more of jamming or blues,” Charles Lane said. “If [we] were to actually call it something concrete, it would be psychedelic funk.”

Cats of Kentuck , formed by Charles Lane and his friends, has been active since 2016.

“We have known each other since high school, and every once in a while, we would just start messing around with music and we just went from there,” Charles Lane said.

Marius Weidmann, another guitarist for Cats of Kentuck, said fans of live jam music will be content attendees at the April 28 show. 

“I think if you just enjoy raw music, band music, a little bit of jamming and just having a good time, you should come,” Weidmann said. “We are here to have a good time and we want our audience to have a good time as well.”

The event will be held at the Band of Brothers Brewing Co. this Saturday, April 28, starting at 7 p.m. Cats of Kentuck will play their new songs, and Doobie ‘Doghouse’ Wilson and Friends will come on afterwards with their fifth album.   

For any curious listeners, Alan Lane’s band has a draft for the new album, “Remainders,” currently available on the band’s website, www.DoobieDoghouseWilson.com for free streaming or downloading.