SENIOR COLUMN: Make a difference

I was sent home from school my first day of junior year of high school. My crime was not loudly disrupting class; it was not fighting or throwing food or disrespecting my teachers. It was wearing a skirt.

“It’s for your own good,” my teacher told me. She had stopped teaching mid-lecture to tell me to go change, had prevented me and my peers from learning because she didn’t like what I was wearing. And the funniest part is, when I took off the skirt and simply wore the shorts I had been wearing underneath, she had no problem with my outfit.

When it came time for me to pick a college, I knew that I wanted to go somewhere huge. My small high school had begun to feel like a cage, keeping me with the same 20 people I’d known my entire life. I wanted to surround myself with incredible minds and new ideas, and The University of Alabama seemed like a great place to start. While I have loved my four years here more than I can put into words, I have also found that the problems that existed at my high school surround me here too.

I have never shared my #metoo story. I don’t think I ever will. I have, however, heard many friends, colleagues and even total strangers tell stories similar to my own. The rape culture on this campus, as well as sexism, racism, bigotry and other prejudices, is a huge part of many students’ college experiences. We can work to change it, but no one person can do that alone.

I’ve known what I wanted to do since my first month of freshman year: become a journalist. From my first byline in The Crimson White, I’ve never looked back. What I didn’t realize then was how much more this career would mean for me than just getting to write every day.

I spent my first 18 years as a follower. I didn’t have a purpose. Journalism gave me a purpose. It made me a leader.

I have spent my four years trying to give voice to those who felt they had none. I’ve reported on sexual assault, racism, hazing, the stigma on mental health and free speech. It hasn’t always been easy, but I truly believe it has made a difference.

I challenge you to make a difference, too.

I have seen what this University can be. I’ve met people incredibly passionate about their work. I’ve written about people who work every day to help others. In my classmates and colleagues, I’ve seen so much potential to do such good in the world.

I love this University. I have dedicated the last four years to serving it and its students. I hope you will do the same.

Elizabeth Elkin is a senior majoring in journalism. She is the Editor-in-Chief of The Crimson White.