‘125 Years of Women’ celebration continues

Autherine Lucy Foster, a 125 Years of Women honoree and one of the first Black students to attend the University of Alabama is flanked on the left by Roy Wilkins and on the right by Thurgood Marshall. 

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Autherine Lucy Foster, a ‘125 Years of Women’ honoree and one of the first Black students to attend the University of Alabama is flanked on the left by Roy Wilkins and on the right by Thurgood Marshall. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Rylie Curry, Contributing Writer

The year 2018 marks the 125th anniversary of women enrolling at the University of Alabama. Judy Bonner, Autherine Lucy Foster and Julia Tutwiler are three examples of impactful women who’ve come from this University.

To honor this anniversary and more of the University’s noteworthy women, events are being held throughout the semester to celebrate the accomplishments of the remarkable women who studied at the Capstone and all they achieved moving forward.

An exhibit entitled, “The Women of the Tide” is currently on display in the Gorgas House Museum to showcase the achievements of women throughout their history at the University. The exhibit, which will run through Sept. 28, features a multitude of artifacts, archives and displays to highlight the most historic events and accomplishments of women at the University.

“’The Women of the Tide’ is a fascinating collection of artifacts depicting the significance of women throughout the 125 years that they have attended The University of Alabama,” said Elizabeth McGiffert, a member of the exhibit advisory committee, in a statement released by the University. “The exhibit represents inclusion, progress and hope for the future.”

Among the many notable women featured in the exhibit are Autherine Lucy Foster and Vivian Malone Jones, who played major roles in the integration of the University. The exhibit also pays tribute to Julia Tutwiler, who was significant in enrolling women in 1893.

In collaboration with the College of Human Environmental Sciences, the exhibit also features a fashion archive from UA’s department of clothing, textiles and interior design. Throughout the archive, clothing worn by faculty, staff and students during historic moments at the University are on display.

Pieces include clothing worn by Judy Bonner, the first female president of the University, a cadet uniform worn by Mary Harmon Black Bryant, who was active in civic affairs and later married Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, and many other significant clothing items from women who participated in the military, sports and social activism at the University.

“We really want people to get a sense of what life was like for the women associated with the items in the exhibit and all they went through to achieve all they did,” said Katherine Edge, Director of the Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum. “The human aspect of the clothing items, walking through the quad, through the buildings, into classrooms – they each tell a really important story. One item doesn’t necessarily stand out from the others because they’re all so significant in capturing the stories.”

A main event of the celebration is the 1893 Jubilee Dinner on Sept. 7, where President Stuart R. Bell and Susan Bell will give recognition. The event honors the groundbreaking women who attended the University and highlights all they have accomplished during their time at the Capstone and beyond.

Honoraries have been chosen from a variety of categories including All Women at The University of Alabama, UA System Administration, Student Leadership, Business, Science, Mathematics, Diversity and Inclusion, Student Advocacy, Faculty and Academic Excellence.

Among those being honored are Libby Anderson Cater Halaby, the first female SGA President at the University, Vicki Hollub, the first female CEO of a major U.S. oil and gas company and Marillyn Hewson, third on Forbes magazine’s list of Most Powerful Women for 2016 and 2017.

Maret Montanari, a senior majoring in public relations and PRWeek’s Public Relations Student of the Year, is being recognized for her work at the University.

“It was such an honor and disbelief for me to be honored amongst so many other amazing women,” Montanari said. “All of the accomplishments of these women are so inspiring and definitely a testament to the quality of education and character that the University of Alabama represents. These women have blazed a trail and I hope to create opportunities for other students to succeed and grow in their respective industries just as these women have done before me.”

In addition to the museum exhibit and dinner, several events are planned to continue the anniversary celebration throughout 2018, including a variety of panels and educational opportunities, such as a book club featuring renowned female authors who attended the University.

To find out more about the 125 Years of Women celebration events coming up, visit the UA Events Calendar.