PRACTICE REPORT: First game-week practice of 2018 season

James Ogletree, Staff Writer

Fall camp has concluded and the season opener in Orlando against Louisville is upon us. Here are some observations from Alabama’s first game-week practice of 2018:

Anfernee Jennings was not participating in outside linebacker drills during the media viewing period. He stood off to the side, still wearing a crimson jersey while watching the other OLBs maneuver forward and backward in between pads and reach for passes thrown by OLB coach Tosh Lupoi. The order through the drill: Christian Miller, Jamey Mosley, Ben Davis, Cameron Latu, Jarez Parks, Eyabi Anoma.

Defensive lineman Stephon Wynn Jr. was spotted in the facility in a black non-contact jersey before practice. He did not participate in sled work with the other D-linemen. The top six according to the team’s depth chart released Monday were all at practice.

Freshman defensive back Patrick Surtain II was, somewhat surprisingly, listed as a co-starter at corner with junior Saivion Smith on the depth chart that was released today. When the first-team defense rehearsed its alignment, however, Smith took the field alongside fellow corners Trevon Diggs and Shyheim Carter and safeties Xavier McKinney and Deionte Thompson.

The quarterbacks’ warm-up period seemed shorter than usual; they followed that up with short passes to wide receivers and handoffs to running backs. Najee Harris looked healthy and it appears he’ll be ready to go for Saturday.