348-Ride makes changes after student input

Amanda Le, Contributing Writer

After several requests for more efficient services, UA Transportation Services has implemented changes to 348-RIDE services, which are now in effect for the 2018-2019 academic year.  

UA Transportation Services took initiative in providing quicker arrivals and reduced wait times after looking into statistical data from rider feedback.

“The routes, which provide access to select campus facilities, are available from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday and Sunday,” Chris Bryant, assistant director of media relations, said in an email. “A bus or van is available on the 348Express Route from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. MondayFriday and from 3 a.m. to 11a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.”  

These changes will allow off-campus students more opportunities to access the bus systems. The 348-RIDE service area includes neighborhoods between Queen City Avenue to the west, 15th Street to the south, McFarland Boulevard to the east and Jack Warner Parkway to the north.

UA Transportation Services Manager Steve Tsapatoris said these changes were decided at the end of last semester and are a safer, more effective and more efficient way to help their ridership.

“Prior to my career here, I was in public safety for 20 years and in a major city,” Tsapatoris said. “Safety is probably one of my biggest concerns. The majority of our ridership at night are students and the overall safety of the students has to be first.”

Ellie Craven, a senior majoring in dance, said she thinks it is great there will be faster services and that many students on campus, especially those without vehicles, will benefit from these changes.

“When I was a freshman, I didn’t have a car and I hated waiting for the bus because it took so long,” said Craven. “I also think this will help students that don’t want to pay for Uber and end up walking home instead, which is less safe.”

For more information about the 348-RIDE changes, visit the website at http://crimsonride.ua.edu/348ride/ or https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/08/crimsonride-announces-changes-to-348-ride/.

Click here for a map of the off-campus area serviced by 348-RIDE.

This story has been updated to correct ride times.