Update: Student shot at off-campus restaurant

CW/ Austin Bigoney

Jackson Fuentes, Contributing Writer

A student was injured after being shot in the arm while leaving Another Broken Egg Cafe around 12:45 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16, according to a press release issued by the University of Alabama.

The person injured was an innocent bystander, and the suspect was apprehended shortly after the victim was shot, according to Tuscaloosa and University police in the press release.

According to the University’s press release, danger has passed for the University and the surrounding community, but students and Tuscaloosa residents are still encouraged to contact University Police at 205-348-5454 or Crime Stoppers at 752-7867(STOP) if they have additional information.

Lt. Teena Richardson of the Tuscaloosa Police Department was contacted but has not responded in time for publication.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available. 

Update 11:11 a.m. Sept. 18: The man who opened fire was a developmentally challenged 28-year-old man, and his caretaker, 30-year-old Javaris Deangelo Dubose was driving, taking his client to eat at the restaurant, according to a report by AL.com.

Dubose left his client in the car with a loaded pistol to go reserve a table. While Dubose was inside, the client began firing the pistol. Dubose went back to the car and left the scene with his client. The two were then stopped by patrol officers, according to AL.com.

According to The Tuscaloosa News, Dubose was charged with reckless endangerment and tampering with physical evidence. He was being held with a bond set at $12,000 in the Tuscaloosa County Jail. The client was transferred for monitoring and evaluation at a medical facility.

Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit Captain Gary Hood declined to comment.