Mattingly makes mid-season shift to new position

CW%2F+Hannah+Saad+

CW/ Hannah Saad

Johnathan Anderson, Sports Editor

Midway through the regular season, days away from diving headlong into the heart of SEC play, Alabama soccer sits at 6-3-1, riding a 1-0 win on the road Sunday against DePaul University.

Over the course of the season, coach Wes Hart has continually shown the depth and potential of his side. Alabama has displayed a fluid, airtight defense and an often overwhelming attack, netting 22 times in a five-game stretch while only conceding twice.

Most notably, however, Hart has shown time and time again his willingness to play freshmen for big minutes and key moments in every match – a trust that has seen some of his newer faces already making big plays for the program. Players such as Kat Rogers have taken their opportunities in stride, scoring big goals and asserting themselves as go-to playmakers in Hart’s plans going forward.

Another such player, Riley Mattingly from Flower Mound, Texas, has done the same.

“We knew when we were getting Riley, we were getting a very good player, a very versatile player at that,” Hart said. “She’s super super composed on the ball, clever, just a good soccer player.”

Mattingly, an attacking midfielder throughout high school and club soccer, was called on to fill in when sophomore forward Chloe Maize went down for the season with an ACL injury. The eager attacking talent was then thrust into a role largely unfamiliar to her. Tasked with right midfield, Mattingly was in charge of not only providing width for Alabama offensively, but dropping back to solidify the Crimson Tide back line.

“It’s like right back and right forward at the same time, so it’s a lot of picking your moments, knowing when to stay back and when to go forward,” Mattingly said. “It’s definitely a lot to learn, and definitely a lot more I need to learn.”

Hart remained confident in his decision. Despite her unfamiliarity with the position, Mattingly possessed the necessary qualities required to fulfill the position: judgement, poise and a whole lot of stamina.

“Being on the right side, Wes [Hart] tells us to attack and go down the end line, but she brings something else,” senior defender Elena Zang said. “She brings the ball inside and isn’t as fast-paced, but I think really helps us when we want to keep possession and be possession-oriented.”

Mattingly has started nine games this season, averaging 59.7 minutes per contest. The fiery-headed freshman has been the manufacturer of a number of Crimson Tide chances in the attack, collecting three assists to start the season.

“She’s going to grow so much over the next three years, but she’s definitely starting off her freshman year awesome,” Zang said.

Grateful for the success and minutes she has earned thus far, Mattingly said she remains fully aware of the talent that surrounds her and the effort it takes to retain her position.

“It’s really cool to be able to come in and feel like I’m helping the team out,” Mattingly said. “But we’ve got a lot of good players in the team, so it’s definitely a battle every practice to get time.”

Mattingly will look to continue her top run of form when Alabama retakes the field on the road Sept. 20 against Vanderbilt. SEC soccer will return to Tuscaloosa on Sept. 23 when the Crimson Tide hosts Arkansas.