Vote no on Amendment 2

Anna Beth Peters, Staff Columnist

Elections are coming up on Nov. 6, and every student should be registering to vote. Whether you’re voting absentee in your home state or going to your local Tuscaloosa polling location, you need to cast your ballot.

If you are registered to vote in Alabama, there are some important aspects of this election that you need to know about. One of these is the proposed Amendment 2.

Amendment 2 is a trigger law that seeks to ban all abortions in Alabama without exception, in the case that Roe v. Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court. The possibility of the ruling being overturned is more likely now that Kavanaugh has been confirmed. There are currently 13 cases concerning abortion in state courts that could be sent to the Supreme Court, and any of these cases could possibly be ruled on to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Even if Roe is not overturned, this amendment will further restrict access to abortion in Alabama. There are currently only three abortion clinics in Alabama, and the price to get this procedure can be upwards of $500. This amendment will make it possible for heavier restrictions on abortion, which is one of the safest medical procedures one can receive. A study published in the Obstetrics & Gynecology research journal discovered that abortion procedures have a lower complication rate than wisdom teeth removal.

The thing about this amendment that makes it so controversial is that it has a no exceptions clause – no exceptions for cases of rape, incest or even the pregnant person’s health and safety. All abortions will be illegal, and people will die. Pregnant people will be forced to carry a child that is a constant reminder of trauma or to carry a baby to full-term even if it could result in their own death.

This law is extremely restrictive and harsh for many reasons, but mostly because these pregnant people do not get to choose the circumstance of their situation. A case of sexual assault is not something that one chooses to have, and therefore one should be able to choose the outcome of the situation.

This amendment does not need to be passed. For the safety of people across Alabama, vote no on this amendment. No one should have their body autonomy limited by their government, especially not a pregnant person whose physical and mental health is at stake. Sexual assault survivors and critically ill people already experience trauma from their experiences, and enforcing Amendment 2 would only further their suffering.

I understand that Alabama is a conservative and heavily religious state, but I ask you this: Is this your decision to make? The choice is the pregnant person’s, and the consequences of the decision will only affect them personally or their family. This is not a state issue, and this is not a federal issue – this is an extremely personal issue. Body autonomy should not be regulated by the government, and that is why you should vote no on Nov. 6 to Alabama’s Amendment 2.