Record number of community members attend student-athlete Halloween party

CW%2F+Austin+Bigoney+

CW/ Austin Bigoney

Amanda Le, Contributing Writer

Over 2,700 guests attended Halloween Extravaganza, an annual event put on by the University’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and the Tide’s Life Skills initiative at Hank Crisp Indoor Facility on Oct. 22.

The record attendance was 2,726, excluding the more than 250 student-athletes. The Tuscaloosa community came out, and children 13 and under enjoyed a night of showing off their fun costumes, bouncing in bounce houses, trick or treating, playing active games and getting their pictures taken with student-athletes, who also showed their spirit in dressing up.

Virginia Dodenhoff, a senior majoring in public relations and member of the rowing team, said her favorite part of the event is seeing how much fun the kids and community members have every year.

“I just love seeing all the athletes interact with the kids,” said Dodenhoff. “The kids are so cute, so excited, and to see them having so much fun with smiles on their faces is the best thing in the world.”

Alex Green, a senior majoring in finance and member of the men’s golf team, said the student-athletes host and participate in various events throughout the year, but this year’s Halloween Extravaganza was been the biggest turnout yet in terms of community involvement.

“It’s the biggest turnout I think we’ve ever had,” said Green. “Last year was record-breaking, and I think we topped that tonight. It’s great to see the community and all the families come together, interact with us and have fun.”

The 16th annual Halloween Extravaganza also supported the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger campaign, and donation bins for nonperishable food items were set up at the entrance. The effort began in 1994, and families had no trouble with continuing to support the cause. The bins were full within the first hour of the event.

“Halloween Extravaganza brings everyone together, even all of the sports teams,” said Dodenhoff. “We have kids from all over the community come in, have a great night and that’s what it’s all about.”