Festivities in community celebrate Veterans Week

CW/ Scarlet VanMeter

Amber Boswell, Contributing Writer

Veterans Week will be full of events and festivities for Veterans Day at The University of Alabama starting Nov. 5.

Veterans Day is dedicated to the brave men and women who serve or who have served in the military. This is a celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism and willingness to serve and sacrifice their lives for their country.

“The purpose of this week is to educate the UA population on the presence of military-affiliated students,” said Alex Bynum, assistant director of logistics at the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

Bynum said of the UA student population, there are 700 veterans, 600 service members and 2,500 military dependents.

“As a campus, it is our duty to acknowledge individuals who have sacrificed their lives for us,” Bynum said.

There was a flag display on the Walk of Champions on Monday night for the opening of Veterans Week.

On Tuesday, there will be a luncheon for faculty and staff veterans and service members at the Hotel Capstone from noon to 1:30 p.m. Also, there will be a Veterans Legal Clinic to assist students and faculty who are military veterans in general legal issues and estate planning from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. in 3000 Houser Hall.

There will be an interest meeting for a sponsorship program with community members and campus veterans on Thursday in 3000 Houser Hall from 6 to 8 p.m.

On Friday, there will be a wreath-laying ceremony, which is open to the entire UA community. This event will be held on the Shelby Quad from 11 a.m. to noon.

The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama Veterans Affairs Committee’s 3rd Annual Tuscaloosa Runs for Veterans event will be held on Saturday to provide support to local charities including the Tuscaloosa Veterans Memorial Park, the Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center Homeless Shelter and The University of Alabama/Shelton State Community College Emergency Relief Fund, which provides assistance to veteran students in financial need. This event will be held at the McAbee Center (VA trail) from 8 to 10 a.m.

The University will end Veterans Week on Monday, Nov. 12. Denny Chimes will play a selection of patriotic music at noon in honor of Veterans Day. “Veterans week is a great way for students and faculty to show their patriotism and gratitude to those who have sacrificed their time and lives for all of us,” said Sasha Godfrey, a junior majoring in political science and member of the Army ROTC.