Professor records album in a month

The month of February may be full of hearts and love for some, but for others it represents 28 days of music production. The RPM Challenge, which began Feb. 1, challenges musicians to create and record 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material within the month of February.

Some may say that creating an album in only one month is a daunting, if not impossible, task. While it may not be easy, more than 6,000 musicians from across the globe, representing all styles of music, have been doing it every year since 2006, when RPM was first created by The Wire magazine.

It began as a creative challenge for local bands in Portsmouth, N.H., to further the local music scene.

The RPM Challenge is supposed to move artists to write and compose. The goal is not to have a masterpiece at the end of the month, although it is possible. Instead, it is to challenge musicians to create rather than wait for inspiration.

“I think I heard about the RPM challenge two or three years ago via NPR,” said Michael Avant, an academic advisor in the College of Commerce and Business Administration. “Having been in a college band for five years previously, and with no other musical projects since I graduated from my masters program, I decided to give it a whirl.”

Avant knows from past experience that the challenge is no easy task.

“Both previous times I have attempted this challenge, I have fallen short,” he said.“ But due to some recent ear surgery I am hearing impaired now, and can no longer nit-pick myself.”

More focused this year, Avant has developed a plan to help him accomplish his goal.

“I’m committed to finishing the project this year, and I hope to sell my creation on iTunes and other download sites, with the intention of donating money to a charity for the hearing impaired,” Avant said.

Avant said his music falls in the pop/rock genre, but the RPM Challenge will result in the production of all different styles of music. Every genre imaginable and all types of musicians will be represented.

“You get loads of really crazy kinds of music, everything from dance/electronic to acoustic,” Avant said.

Listeners can check out the new music by visiting NPR’s website and accessing the Jukebox. All the completed albums may be put up in the jukebox, if the artist so desires. Also there will be a global online listening party on Saturday, March 26.

“[Additionally] there are regional listening parties across the nation where people gather to congratulate, lament, and share their experiences during their recording process,” Avant said.

Musicians should not be deterred from participating because they do not have a lot of money or access to expensive recording equipment. Artists can use anything, Avant said. Regular recording studios and DAW workstations are used for recording, but so are tape recorders, Walkmans, iPhones and other smart phones.

“People just kind of use what they have,” Avant said. “I have a daughter and I might even use her baby shakers in my music.”

Since it’s an artistic exercise, it does not have to be perfect. The challenge is meant to help those who participate improve in their craft. There is no prize money, no first, second, or third place, just the finished product and the satisfaction of completing a tough task in a month.

There is no fee to participate in the RPM Challenge. The only requirement is that ten songs or 35 minutes of recorded material, on a CD, be mailed or hand-delivered by noon on March 1 to RPM headquarters.

For more information about participating in the RPM Challenge, visit rpmchallenge.com.