How to get the royal look for any wedding

Jordan Staggs

Kate—I mean Catherine—and William are not the only happy couple tying the knot this season. In fact, we all know what’s coming. Your best friend. Your cousin. That person from high school you haven’t spoken to since then but who sends you an invite and you feel obligated to go…. Summer is wedding season, and there’s no way around it.

Then there’s the age-old dilemma. What to wear? Well, there’s really only one major rule, and I’m going to throw it at you simply: No white. Do you really want to be that guest? I don’t think so. So, here are a few quick tips for girls and guys on how to look nice and put-together at any ceremony.

1. Prints and florals are all the rage for dresses. I know what you’re thinking. In the words of Miranda Priestly, “Florals, for spring? Groundbreaking.” But seriously, you can’t go wrong with a bold print that stands out but doesn’t hurt the eyes of your fellow guests. A pretty dress at a decent length—I know it’s hot outside, but keep it classy—is pretty much one-stop shopping. Pair with just a couple pieces of jewelry and heels, flats or even sandals, and you’re good to go.

2. Guys, you can look nice and still be comfortable. Now, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: nicely dressed men are just more attractive. I know it’s hot out, and it will be tempting to go with that polo shirt and khakis combo you’ve been wearing to church since you were nine. But it’s just as easy, and maybe even more comfortable, to go with a pair of slacks, a button-down in a lightweight fabric and a tie. If you don’t like the tie, try a vest. It’s one more layer but you can skip the suffocation and undo those top buttons. Throw on some dress shoes, or if it’s a more casual wedding, even a pair of nice sneakers—personally I think that look is to die for.

3. For nighttime receptions, go a little more glam. Sparkles and smoky eyes just look more natural at night, and it’s okay to be a little Hollywood chic at a wedding. In fact, it will make you look that much better on the reception dance floor. If you’re worried about too many sequins, pair a sparkly top with a solid skirt, or throw on a cardigan over your dress. Keep the shoes and accessories understated, and you’ll be gorgeous and fun without looking like you’re ready to hit the club.

Really, it’s all about personal style. Wear what you like and what you feel comfortable in, but be respectful to the happy couple. They invited you to share their special day because they care about you, and it would be most un-royal of you to embarrass yourself and them by looking like a commoner—I mean, slob….