Beat Auburn Beat Hunger plans upcoming events

UA’s Beat Auburn Beat Hunger is drawing to a close and has organized several major events to boost donations and meet its goal of 250,000 pounds of donated food, said Wahnee Sherman, director of UA’s Community Service Center. “We are coming up on the end of the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger campaign, so we want to make a strong final push to collect as much as we can,” Sherman said. “We have some great ways for folks to get involved this week.” As part of this push, the Community Service Center and its partners have hosted a number of events supporting the drive to raise awareness and involve more students and will continue to hold more this month. Halloween night, students dressed up in their costumes and went door-to-door “can-or-treating,” collecting donations for the drive. A photo shoot with Big Al will be held today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Plaza. Any participating students will use canned donations in a photo with Big Al. The photos will be uploaded to Facebook, and the most “liked” photo will win a $100 gift card for Bama Dining. Students must donate cans to the drive to be eligible for the competition, and those wishing to vote on the photo can go to the BABH Facebook page. The University’s first campus-wide BABH 5k run/walk kicks off this Sunday at 1 p.m. at the outdoor pool parking lot. The top three female and top three male runners will be awarded at a ceremony following the race, and door prizes will be given out. Participants in the race can register at the Community Service Center, Room 346 in the Ferguson Center, or register online at BABH’s website, beatauburnbeathunger.ua.edu. Pre-registration is $15 dollars, while registration the day of the race is $20. Also, a concert will be held at the Capri Theatre in Montgomery, and students from both universities are invited to attend. Doors will open at 7 p.m. on Friday, November 11, and the show will begin at 7:45. Tickets are $15 at the door, and students bringing can donations will be entered in a drawing for door prizes. The concert will feature Nashville country artists, including Melissa Duvall, Emma Jacobs and Liz Moriondo. Brianna Weekley, a junior majoring in public relations, is considering going to the concert. “I listen to bluegrass and folk, and it’s for a good cause, and plus I support anything that has to do with beating Auburn,” she said. “I wasn’t aware of the donation locations, but I definitely plan on donating now.” According to a press release by the Community Service Center, BABH began in 1994, in collaboration with Auburn University, and has raised over three million pounds of food for families in the state of Alabama who are in need of resources. The drive uses the rivalry between Auburn and Alabama to foster community outreach in students at both universities. Both monetary donations and cans are accepted at numerous locations across campus, including at most Bama Dining locations. Off-campus housing and some businesses in Tuscaloosa are also holding events to support the drive. Additional donation locations will be set up at various sporting events on campus.