Bama Art House screens first film in winter series

This semester’s Bama Art House Series kicked off last week with the film Melancholia. For anyone who missed the first film, here is the list of films showing throughout this semester at The Bama Theatre. The screenings are at 7:30 p.m., and are $7 for general admission, $6 for students and $5 for seniors.

Jan. 17: Martha Marcy May Marlene

Genre: Drama/Thriller

Starring:  Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson and John Hawkes

Rotten Tomatoes: 88 percent of critics and 77 percent of viewers recommended the film

Following her escape from a cult and its leader, Martha seeks the help of her older sister but refuses to explain her disappearance. Her paranoia causes the line between her reality and her delusions to blur as she tries to reclaim a normal life.

Jan. 24: Bellflower

Genre: Action/Drama

Starring: Evan Glodell, Tyler Dawson and Jessie Wiseman

Rotten Tomatoes: 72 percent of critics and 67 percent of viewers recommended the film

Preparing for a world in which an imaginary gang will prevail, two friends spend their time building flame-throwers and weapons of mass destruction in anticipation of a global apocalypse.

Jan. 31: The Other F Word

Genre: Documentary/Comedy/Drama

Starring: Tony Adolescent, Art Alexakis, Rob Chaos

Rotten Tomatoes: 76 percent of critics and 89 percent of viewers recommend this film

This documentary features prominent punk rockers as they take the paternal role for their children. Notable names include Blink-182’s Mark Hoppus, the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Flea and Rise Against’s Tim McIlarth.

Feb. 7: The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975

Genre: Documentary

Starring: Angela Davis, Stokely Carmichael and Bobby Seale

Rotten Tomatoes: 91 percent of critics and 82 percent of viewers recommend this film

Footage of the Black Power Movement as shot and compiled by Swedish journalists who visited America during this famous period of American history.

Feb. 14: Carnage

Genre: Comedy/Drama

Staring: Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz

Rotten Tomatoes: 68 percent of critics and 75 percent of viewers recommend this film

Three Hollywood favorites star in this film about two sets of parents who meet after their sons fight on the playground.

Feb. 21: A Dangerous Method

Genre: Drama/Thriller

Starring: Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen

Rotten Tomatoes: 76 percent of critics and 58 percent of viewers recommend this film

A film explores the relationship between the foundation of psychoanalysis and Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung as they take on an impossible case in Sabina Spielrein.