New friend leaves lasting opinion

We come into contact with unique people in our lives. Sometimes these individuals stick around, and sometimes we only have a short amount of time with them. This past week I had the pleasure and joy to meet one individual who I will most likely never see again. This individual gave me hope for the future and reminded me that there are still good people doing all that they can for others.

Diego Cavinal, also known as “Go Diego Go,” lives in San Juan Cotzal, Guatemala and has dedicated his life to improving his community through endless volunteer work and bringing young gang members off the streets and into his church to learn about and love Jesus. A group from my church and I went the Guatemala this past week to build stoves for families who still cooked by open flame. This is where I met Diego.

Building stoves for the families takes a whole team, and Diego had been put on my team for the week. Diego only knows three words in English: “hello,” “thank you,” and “stop.” “Hello” and “thank you” were only used once during the entire week with him. The joyous “hello” came with the first time our team met him, and a tearful “thank you” was the English spoken during our goodbyes. “Stop” was used during the entire time in between. “Stop” drilling because you’re about to drill through my hand. “Stop” laughing at my newly ripped pants because I’m about to fall down the ladder you are supposed to be holding. “Stop” taking pictures of the dogs because one is coming to attack you.

Although Diego knew those three words in English, his actions and smile spoke more than words ever could during that week. Diego was the hardest working team member, and his unwavering love for his people shined through with everything he did. He was the first to every house we traveled to and the last to leave. He greeted everyone on the streets whether he knew them or not. He spent time talking to the family members we helped and played with the kids during our free time. He was genuine and loving to every person he met, and he outworked the entire team on every stove.

Diego would ask me everyday, “Estás cansada,’” meaning “Are ?you tired?”

My response would remain “Nunca,” meaning “Never.”

This was an ongoing joke between Diego and I, because he would ask me at the most exhausting moments of our days. Diego did the questioning the entire week, but on the last day, I finally questioned him.

“Estás cansado, Diego?”

I asked him if he was ever tired after working for his people for so long. Does his dedication to helping people he doesn’t know ever dwindle? Does he ever question why he works so hard for his people, some he doesn’t even know? He responded, “Nunca.”

He told me he sees the hope his people in San Juan Cotzal have for the future. He said the hope drives his work and love for his people. The community constantly tells him he is a blessing to the town and for so many families, but he can only respond with the fact that the community blesses him more than they can ever know. They bless him with their ability to be joyous, with what little they have, their steadfast love for one another and their spirit of undying hope.

I only had a short amount of time with Diego, but watching him in all his passion and love for helping ?others will stick with me forever.

Carolyn Duke is a sophomore ?majoring in secondary education.