Contemporary restaurant in historic district sparks controversy

Barring an appeal from the Tuscaloosa City Council, the restaurant is due to open January 2015. The building, which features a contemporary design, will be built on University Boulevard across from the University Club. This area is within the historic buffer zone that had previously been reserved for more traditional architecture.

One local, William Robertson, does not want to Jinsei come to the downtown area.

“I’m not in favor of it,” Robertson said. “It’s just not appropriate for a historic district.”

Another resident had a more flexible view.

“I think a lot of our heritage is being destroyed, and a lot of old buildings are being torn down when they should be restored,” Melody Motes said. “It’s progress. You can’t really fight it. But, if it was made to fit in and look like part of the city, that’s good because we need 
more businesses.”

Many residents are completely in favor of adding more dining options, regardless of where they are located.

“I think it’s great, the more new restaurants in town the better off we are,” Camille Mendel said. “I am very limited in the amount of sushi I have eaten over the years, but I know students love it and I’m happy to see it come.”

The lot across from the University Club is currently empty. Minimal demolition work would be necessary to begin the project. The lot is located just past The Strip, which is a popular destination for students from The University of Alabama.

Most residents said they support the new business. They also said that a better location could be found that would be more suited to the architecture as well as the higher price of the exotic cuisine.

“I think it is unnecessary to have that type of building or business right next to a historic neighborhood.” Kimberly Dockery said. “There are a lot of other places you could build that and it would be fine, but right there I think we just need to keep that a historic zone.”

Samantha Anderson said it might fit better in some of Tuscaloosa’s newer shopping areas.

“It’s kind of weird, I don’t think it would really blend in with the rest of the stuff. It takes away from the feel of downtown and all the historic parts of it,” she said. “I think it would be better down in Midtown.”

Paul Wilson also thought Midtown would be a 
better location.

“I like the idea of a new sushi restaurant, but I agree that it shouldn’t be in the historic district,” he said. “I feel like it would be better with the higher price and the atmosphere, judging by the picture, I feel like it’d do better if it were in Midtown.”

Jinsei features more than 20 types of sushi, hot and cold dishes, tempura and specialty drinks. Prices range from $5 appetizers to $30 entrees. The restaurant has two other locations in Oxford, Mississippi, and the Homewood sector of Birmingham. The Birmingham location received high praise by local food critics and on social media.