Candidates debate policies

Student Government Association presidential candidates discussed transparency, loyalty and campaign violations at Sunday night’s presidential debate and candidate forum.

In response to an audience-submitted question, candidates were asked how they would respond to possible rumors and allegations about campaign violations.

Candidate David Wilson spoke first, saying recent allegations were made against his campaign. Candidate Matt Calderone said he filed the violations report.

“I’ve had allegations made against me – and it sucks,” Wilson said. “But you want to act honestly and ethically. How do we best use our time? We spend our time promoting our ideas. You know what you’re doing. You know if you’re being honest and ethical. You stand up for yourself.”

In response to the hypothetical question, Calderone said he would like to sit down with any student who made allegations against him to put rumors to rest.

In rebuttal, Wilson directly asked Calderone why he chose not to inform him of the actions being taken against his campaign. Wilson said the two had lunch together around the time the allegations surfaced.

“David, I was never given a heads up that those actions were going to be taken,” Calderone said. “I felt it was my duty as a student to report it. Those investigations are still ongoing, no matter what some people say. I have an email in my pocket that says so.”

In an interview following the debate, Wilson said he received a phone call from the Election Board the morning of Saturday, Feb. 18, informing him that they were no longer pursuing the investigation.

Though no references to the Machine were made in moderator questions, several candidates were careful to cover organization affiliation in their opening statements.

“I’ve gotten this far on my own accord. I’ve never changed my campaign,” Calderone said. “I’ve never accepted funds from an on- or off-campus organization, including the Machine.”

Candidate Shea Stripling said she doesn’t believe the Machine represents an off-campus organization.

“I’m sponsored by Waffle House,” she said to audience laughter. “Waffle House is open 24/7 – the same way SGA candidates should be available at all times.”

Answering a question regarding transparency in office, Wilson said transparency is crucial to ethical behavior.

“What transparency means to me is just being honest,” Wilson said. “But it’s not just about being transparent and honest when it’s convenient, it means being transparent and accountable when it’s hard.”

Calderone rebutted that transparency is a tenant candidates run on every year, but few people get what it really means.

“Talking about transparency and taking action and doing it are two different things,” Calderone said. “I think talking about transparency projects and having worked on projects for the entire year are two different things. I think I can increase transparency.”

Stripling was careful to reference her sponsoring organization in her answer.

“Transparency means to me that you know the good, you know the bad, you know it all,” she said. “At Waffle House, they have the open grill. You saw the guy drop the hair in your eggs.

He knows you know, but you’re still going to eat the eggs. We should be able to have complete trust between the SGA and the people affected by these policies. I believe transparency means trust.”

The candidates also answered questions regarding a campus-wide smoking ban and a plus/minus grading system, as well as community service and involvement.

Wilson and Calderone both stated their desire to investigate the plus/minus grading system. However, Calderone said people should be aware that it is not something the SGA can just change and that the power resides within the Faculty Senate.

“Conversations at the kitchen table with your mother aren’t going to cut it,” Calderone said, referring to Wilson’s mother, a member of the Faculty Senate. “If you’ve been in student government for going on four years now and haven’t taken any action, that’s unacceptable.”

All candidates agreed that student response to April 27 tornado was admirable and each suggested ways to foster and sustain ongoing community involvement.

“Service must stay within the student government – the foundation of student government is to serve students,” Calderone said. “I think we should continue to partner with the CSC, and we should continue those partnerships to unite students through service.”

The debate, sponsored by the Residence Hall Association, MBA Association and Culverhouse Ambassadors also featured a forum for executive office candidates to present a three-minute platform.