Small clutches better for class

Between the mountains of textbooks stashed in your book bag, the bag of gym clothes, the Starbucks in your left hand, the Subway in your right and the various technology devices, who has the space or the strength to carry a huge, bulky purse?

I know purses are amazing, and I know that some girls say “The bigger, the better.” And honestly, I can relate. I love giant purses, but at this point in college, I feel like carrying one on campus is a bigger burden than benefit. They slide off your shoulder, they cut into your arm, and they begin to feel like they weigh an incredible amount when competing with the aforementioned book bag. So, what’s a girl to do?

The answer is simple: downsize. You have 52 weekends a year and a whole summer to carry beautiful purses. But it’s just not necessary during the year. So, instead of making yourself suffer, invest in a clutch to toss in your book bag or an across-the-body purse that’s small enough to fit all your essentials.

If your heart is palpitating at the thought of ditching your favorite purse, relax. I’ve been there too. But there are plenty of adorable clutches out there that aren’t made strictly for evening and fit nicely into any day’s wardrobe.

Practically every clothing store I can think of has options for smaller clutches. Altr’d State in Midtown Village has adorable wallet-clutch hybrids that are big enough for your phone and cards but small enough to fit comfortably in your cramped bag. They have a plethora of different colors and textures, so you can be sure to find the one perfect for you. On average, they run about $30.

If $30 is too much for you to spend on a clutch people are only going to see when you pull out your ACT card, another option is Target. I’ve mentioned Target before, and it’s a personal favorite because they really do have something for everyone. It’s also a lot cheaper than department stores. Whether your style is indie, classic or somewhere in between, it’s a safe bet Target has something for you.

Recently, they’ve stocked wristlets, which I love. Again, they come in many colors and conveniently wrap around your wrist so you can still show off your style without breaking your shoulder. Wristlets tend to fit more, too, so if you can’t bear parting with the million trinkets in your purse, opt for one of these.

Perhaps you’re simpler and aren’t carrying a reserve of items. A great wallet is perfect for you. At the beginning of the year, I found I wasn’t carrying much to class, save for my books, phone and cards. If your book bag has a lot of pockets, which most do, a wallet will suit your needs.

Like the others, it fits into your bag and won’t weigh you down. Hard case wallets are my favorite because they’re less likely to rip than leather or fabric ones. Also, let’s face it: most people carry their phones around like an extra appendage, so the lack of space in this regard isn’t much of an issue for those without much to carry. Wallets generally have more of a range of design than wristlets and clutches, so you can probably find one you love without an extensive search.

So, it’s time to ditch those enormous purses and trade them in for a smaller version … unless, of course, you want to be a practice patient for the nursing students by the end of term.