SGA election: Open communication key for executive secretary

Header to the SGA candidates’ letters to the editor:

This week, The Crimson White opinions page will feature guest columns submitted by this year’s Student Government Association candidates for executive positions. Each candidate has been offered the opportunity to submit a column. We will highlight a different SGA position each day, publishing the columns of those candidates who chose to submit a guest column.

As the current assistant communication director, I am very passionate about serving the student body. It is my goal to work towards empowering and educating every student on campus. Through projects like the Crimson Watch Program, Higher Education Day and the Voter Registration drive, I’ve realized the impact that positive communication skills can have throughout the Capstone.

I am here to serve the student body to the best of my ability, and if elected to the position of executive secretary, I plan to do just that. My campaign has been completely transparent and mirrors how I plan to continue to work for the student body. Every speaking engagement has been posted online with photographs, and in some cases, even filmed. I want to be held accountable for my actions and plan to do the same for everyone on the executive cabinet.

If elected, I would like to partner with The Crimson White and publish a weekly column about Student Government Association projects and initiatives. This is a positive way to reach out to the student body and allow everyone to hold the SGA accountable. I will encourage an open and ongoing dialogue between the student body and their representatives.

A second way I would encourage an open and honest dialogue is by typing detailed notes of each meeting and posting them weekly on the Student Government Association website.  I support the student body and believe in keeping all representatives accountable for the projects they wish to accomplish.

Throughout my campaign, I have had the pleasure of speaking to so many diverse groups on campus; it has really opened my eyes to the true meaning of being a student at the University of Alabama. We are a student body of educated, intelligent and diverse individuals, but what unites us together is our love for the Capstone. By voting for me, Brielle Appelbaum, for Student Government Association executive secretary, you are choosing a representative that cares deeply for the University of Alabama and a candidate that puts the student body first. My father always told me actions speak louder than words, and I hope that my actions have shown that I am the qualified, caring and willing candidate for the job.

Come Election Day on March 6, think BA for UA!