Potluck serves up food for though to progressives

Crock-pots and casserole dishes, step aside. Attendees of Thursday’s Progressive Potluck are intent on serving up fresh, hot servings of forward-looking thought and conversation.

This month’s edition of the program, in which members of campus progressive student organizations get together to discuss current initiatives and future goals, is hosted by UA Progressive Students and will take place Thursday from 8 to 11 p.m. inside the Rotary House.

“Basically, each month, we get together, have a potluck, and everyone introduces themselves and mingles,” said Potluck organizer Caitlin McClusky, social event coordinator for the UA Environmental Council and a New College senior. “It’s a great way to network and see what other people are doing to create change on campus and change in the community.”

Food for thought isn’t the only available fare, however. Organizer Marina Roberts, Mallet Assembly minister of information and a sophomore majoring in anthropology and business, said attendees always provide an eclectic selection of homemade dishes.

“We don’t really have any organizational structure as far as food goes, but we’ve always had good luck with people bringing great, different stuff,” she said. “Sometimes the vegan groups show up with good vegan sauces and other stuff to try.”

McClusky said merging people and ideas was the motivation behind the potluck’s creation, which she started in December 2010, along with current junior Mallory Flowers and recent graduate Linn Groft.

“It started off as an idea to get people together and network into progressive groups and causes,” McClusky said. “We’re creating a good base of support, what I’d like to think of as a coalition. So many people in our groups have similar goals and ideas.”

McClusky stressed the Potluck’s non-partisan nature, but Cody Jones, UA College Democrats communications director and a senior majoring in political science, did not hesitate to tout the program’s role in fostering correspondence among progressive campus organizations.

“To me, the best thing about it is you can talk to whoever you want to and find out what’s going on in all corners of campus,” he said. “If we didn’t have this, we’d all be lost in the woods together.”

Lauren Jacobs, president of Spectrum and a junior majoring in telecommunication and film, echoed Jones’ sentiment.

“You often get so focused on what your group is busy working on that you forget to check in with what other people around campus are doing,” she said. “To be able to have those face-to-face conversations like the potluck is really good for collaboration. You may find some things that inspire your own work.”

Roberts encouraged all inspiration-seekers, regardless of organization involvement, to come share in the food and conversation.

“You don’t have to be affiliated with any group to join in,” Roberts said. “If you’re an interested student looking to make an impact on campus, then Progressive Potluck might be the place for you.”

Organizers plan to hold monthly meetings at various locations on campus throughout the semester. The Mallet Assembly hosted several editions in Palmer Hall last semester.

McClusky hopes the program will continue to develop as a progressive reinforcement network on campus and beyond.

“I’d like to see the Progressive Potluck grow – not necessarily grow in number, but grow in a sense of community of support,” she said. “It’s kind of simple but lots of fun.”