SGA election: Candidate pledges Bama Break, alternative scholarships

Fellow students: First, let me thank you for allowing me the opportunity over the past year and a half to serve you through the Student Government Association as a First Year Councilor and Senator.

Upon launching my campaign for vice president of Student Affairs, I have had the privilege of meeting with several organizations and students, all of which have left me optimistic for the future of our University. Though this past year has caused many of you to doubt the work of our SGA, I truly believe the best is yet to come, and I hope to help be the leader that helps restore your trust.

As students, we all enjoy multiple aspects of student life here at the Capstone, and my platform is built around making your daily life a little bit easier and more enjoyable.

As the semester rolls on, many students are beginning to make plans for summer.  Through my “Bama Break” proposal, SGA will offer an online resource profiling numerous student jobs, internships and study-abroad programs to help you find the perfect summer experience.

“Bama Break” will include background information like salary and work hours but will also directly incorporate student feedback, giving you a chance to hear if other students recommend a particular program.

With rising tuition costs, affording college is becoming more and more difficult for each student. Currently, SGA offers student scholarships through the Student-to-Student Scholarship program, but we have the potential to move above and beyond what is already available.

As your VPSA, it will be my first priority to increase the chances of earning a scholarship, whether it be need or merit based. Through fundraising and seeking alternative sponsorships, we can make every attempt to alleviate some of the financial burden that comes with a college education.

Upon returning from summer, every student at UA looks forward to Alabama football. Currently, student organization seating polarizes our campus, but we can change that. As your VPSA, I will implement key policies to ensure SOS is a program that works for all student organizations. From adding Application Advisors to improving the application and committee process, we can work together to further improve our gameday experience.

On March 6, I would genuinely appreciate your vote, so that we can continue to serve all students. Together, we can make a lasting impact on the lives of each other and the lives of future Alabama students.

Will Pylant is currently a SGA senator for the College of Arts and Sciences. He is running for the position of Vice President of Student Affairs.